Hawaii Mars II was built for the US Navy in 1945 as a bomber and has had quite a few works by using in its 77-12 months daily life span such as most recently preventing forest fires. The major operational traveling boat in existence is now up for sale, furnishing a crown jewel for any aircraft collectors’ selection.
The historic piece is one of only seven produced and is the only a single however flying, the airplane’s siblings consist of Marianas Mars, Philippine Mars, Marshall Mars, Caroline Mars, and Hawaii Mars. While it was created as a bomber it never noticed action before WWII finished and rather served as a cargo and troop carrier right until they had been decommissioned in the 1950s. Quickly after, Forest Industries Traveling Tankers bought them and transformed them to firefighting h2o bombers.
Although there is no official account of missions this huge aircraft flew, there are some experiences that within the 2009-2015 time frame it discharged in between 600 and 700 instances on behalf of British Columbia’s Wildfire Assistance. Based mostly on this rudimentary report, you can extrapolate for a number of extra many years to only think about the enormous number of operations it flew.
The aircraft has been managed in flying problem and has a value tag of $5 million (doesn’t get into account the couple hundred-thousand a year in routine maintenance) and its specs are down below:
- Its physique operates 117 ft extended by 13.5 toes vast and it stands 48 feet tall on land
- Its wings span 200 toes and supply a full place of 3,686 toes
- The 4 propellers are nearly 17 feet across, and they are hooked up to 2,400-hp Wright R-3350-24WA 18-cylinder radial engines
- Its top pace is 225 mph and 190-mph cruise velocity with a 4,900-mile assortment
- It is ready to carry 7,200 gallons of drinking water, enough to douse 4 acres.